Skip navigation

What requirements must be met for child benefit?

In principle, you can receive child benefit if you

  • have your place of residence or habitual abode in Germany or
  • live abroad, but are either subject to unlimited income tax liability in Germany or are treated accordingly.

The following are considered children

  • children related to you in the first degree (legitimate, declared legitimate, illegitimate and adopted children)
  • Children of your spouse (stepchildren) and grandchildren you have taken into your household
  • Foster children with whom you are connected by a family-like, long-term relationship.

This page uses cookies. You can find out more information about the General Data Protection Regulation under Data protection.