You can apply for the housing subsidy if
- you have reached the age of 16 by the end of the savings year at the latest,
- the taxable income taking into account the tax allowances for children in the savings year
- does not exceed 35,000 euros (until 2020: 25,600 euros) or
- in the case of married couples, does not exceed 70,000 euros (until 2020: 51,200 euros), and
- the expenditure to promote housing is not capital-forming benefits for which there is an entitlement to an employee savings allowance.
The application must be submitted to the investment institution (e.g. the building society) within two years of the end of the savings year.