Skip navigation

How do I apply for child benefit?

Child benefit will only be paid on the basis of a written application (a verbal application, e.g. by telephone, is not possible). You must sign this application and send it to the office responsible for granting child benefit. The application can also be submitted by a person authorised to do so in writing (e.g. your tax adviser).

Child benefit is paid monthly in the following amounts:

  • for the first and second child: EUR 219 each
  • for the third child: EUR 225
  • for each additional child: EUR 250.

Child benefit is transferred to your account each month by the family benefits office (Familienkasse) of the Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit). If you work in the public sector, you will receive the child benefit directly from your employer/client.


Please use the forms available from the Familienkasse to submit your application.


This page uses cookies. You can find out more information about the General Data Protection Regulation under Data protection.